Its been almost a month since I posted anything. Hmm...So I'm not the 'give me a topic and I'll write you a page' kind of girl. But don't we all have those 'bloggable' moments? Its just that getting down to collecting my thoughts and posting it never happens. Of course I have the baby to blame. Aren't new parents allowed to blame everything on the baby. From dark circles to dying house plants. Its all the little one's fault, isn't it? :-)
Last year this time, I remember religiously reading my 'What to expect when you're expecting'. I remember always being on eHow.com watching how to videos and memorizing steps. How to swaddle the baby. How to bathe a new born. How to burp the baby. How to this and how to that. While the step by step instructions did help, here are some things I learnt, the not so easy way:
- Next time there's a screaming baby on your flight, don't curse. On another flight, that could be your baby.
- You will do anything to see that gummy smile. Yes, you will not hesitate to make a complete fool of yourself.
- Don't wear that beautiful dress just yet. Until they learn to burp on their own, many babies spit up a lot. And most likely it will land outside of the burp-cloth coverage area. If you do decide to wear that dress, its dad's turn to carry him.
- You want to put her to sleep, so that you can catch up on chores. But when she finally falls asleep you just want to sit there and watch her.
- Real men don't cry? Real men who have not had to watch their 2 month old get his shots that is.
- Nothing can gross you out anymore. You are going to deal with pee-pee and poo-poo first hand.
- Your longest minute is when your baby cries non-stop. Your shortest hour is when she wakes up from her nap and you have only checked number three on your twenty item to-do list.
- Your home will slowly but surely be taken over by the baby's things. He may be small but its amusing how many things he could use. Baby crib, changing table, dresser, swing, rocker, play pen, car seat, stroller, high chair, toys, toys and more toys.
- A whole nights sleep, a nice long shower and a good book might seem like a far away dream. There are days when you may even forget to brush your teeth.
- Theres always extra batteries for your camera.
- You lose hair. Some she'll pull. Some you'll pull. And some fall anyway.
- Your baby is always the cutest baby in town.
Many women transform into multitasking super moms. I am still waiting my turn. And meanwhile maybe I will persevere and be patient. *sigh* I wanted to find some good image that would go with this post but don't have the time. So this should do for now.
PS: BTW, swaddling is easy and babies sleep will longer when they are warm and cosy. Bathing them is tricky coz they are so fragile. And eventually the baby burps. The gas will come out one way or the other.