Saturday, April 02, 2016

#AtoZChallenge - B is for 'Baby Baggage'


OK so how big is a baby? Say 20 inches and 3.5 kg on an average?

And as you sit there misty eyed dreaming about this tiny little miracle with its tiny little toes and fingers that is slowly forming in your belly... I'm sure you have no idea how much  baggage its bringing along.


Source Pinterest

I mean, how does this little thing that could ideally occupy just 2 square feet need an entire room full of things. 

Any expecting mother will do a quick online search for a 'newborn checklist' and discover that there is always the 'need to have' things you cannot do without and the 'nice to have' things that you definitely cannot do with out.

Here in India, usually we don't buy too many things publicly when we are expecting. Its primarily this weird fear of jinxing anything by getting too happy about it. Shopping is always low key and happens towards the due date and mostly done by moms and aunts.

Here is just a brief list of things a new baby inherits simply by virtue of its birth:
  • Car seat
  • Crib and bumper
  • Crib mobile
  • Rattle and toys
  • A whole lot of clothes and linen
  • A dresser to keep all those clothes and linen
  • Diapers
  • Diaper changing table
  • Diaper Pail
  • Stroller
  • Hypoallergenic Baby Toiletries
  • Bathing tub
  • Diaper bag
  • Bottles
  • Sterlisers
  • Nursing Pillows
  • Baby monitors
  • Breast pumps 
  • Baby sling
  • Toys 
  • Rocking Chair
  • A new room maybe? With baby themed wall paper and colour and nursery decor..

Phew! Thank God for hand-me-downs and gifts. 

PS:

This list is mostly from my pregnancy experience in the US. In India, many of these things are done by other humans. Most people have family and domestic help to reach out to. For instance we don't need car seats or baby monitors when Grandma visits!

15 comments:

  1. Another memory sparked. I'm loving this theme, Seena. I don't think I could do it all again. It's funny because when we are new mums we are invinsible. Now I get exhausted when I baby sit (3 years old) my goddaughter just for a few hours :) Look forward to reading C on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola! Good to have you back!Happy to hear you are enjoying this theme :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:17 pm

    Hi Seena, So true! And think of when you have to travel with the baby and the baby baggage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes that's even more terrifying.. :D

      Delete
  3. This is a useful post for a mother :) Good you wrote about it.

    B - The Eye of the Beholder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there... I hope I'm not scaring moms to be

      Delete
  4. This baby baggage is all things of recent times. In our parents time, who had heard of car seats, diapers and diaper bags, strollers etc. But given the times we live, all these are actually mandatory! PHEW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very correct Shilpa.. :)

      Delete
  5. The list is certainly endless isn't it! With my first we had so much "stuff" with the second we went the bare minimum and it was much more calming for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Donna, by the time its the second one, we know we can wing it. :)

      Thank you for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. As a mother of two myself and grandmother of one now, I can so relate to this story. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to hear stories from your side and time.. :)

      Thanks for coming by Breyana!

      Delete
  7. I remembering my friend getting paranoid over packing things of her 3 month old daughter for a holiday.. Man it was too much, the list of course.. and here I can see, the list baby brings!

    Cheers
    Geets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes travelling is even worse, as suddenly we feel handicapped when we dont have half the above mentioned list.. :d

      Delete
  8. Phew! tell me about it. :)

    ReplyDelete